In the last few years, zirconia crowns rose in popularity among dentists. Of course, there are reasons why people prefer them instead of other types of crowns. A chemist from Germany found out that zirconium dioxide has some good characteristics. This is the reason why the medical world starts to use it for a prosthesis. Hip implants are made by zirconium dioxide. It was not long enough when the dental industry started to produce teeth implants by zirconia. Now, we are facing the opportunity to use it in crowns too. The metal is extremely durable so zirconia crowns from DentalDesigns have a long expiration date.
How many types of zirconia Do we know?
Thanks to modern technologies we have two different variations of this metal – a high translucent and solid one. Let`s find out what is the difference between them.
Solid zirconia is the harder type that`s why dentists use it for creating solid support even with teeth which are not stable at all. The disadvantage of the solid zirconia is its colour – opaque. That`s why if it is recommendable for back teeth but not front ones. However, the material is extremely tough so chewing is not a problem at all. No matter how fast the patient chew or how much force he applies. The second type is high translucent zirconia the crown which is not visible as a solid one, that’s why dentists use it for front teeth. However, although it is not as hard as the solid zirconia, it is stronger than porcelain.
What are the pros of zirconium crowns?
First, we will list the reasons why people prefer this material, and then we will compare it with other crowns. Let`s get started. Looks good.
- Looks good. The colour of zirconia allows being used in various colours teeth. People prefer it because it is invisible. Today, people don`t want to look old, so crowns should be invisible;
- Lack of metal. Usually, porcelain crowns have metal layer and it is slightly visible close to the gums. Today, people try not to make compromises when it comes to appearance – that`s why metal is not acceptable at all;
- Zirconia crowns don`t provoke allergies. It is biocompatible so it can stay in the human body without any risk;
- Hard material which doesn’t ruin with time. Zirconia crown won`t chip off so once you have it, you wouldn`t have to exchange it with a new one in future. Of course, this is only if you take care of your teeth properly;
- The procedure is easier because zirconia the crown needs a minimal removal of a tooth. In addition, it bonds easily with a natural tooth.
The biggest pro of zirconia crowns according to experts at Dental Designs Clinic in Singapore is the aesthetic look. Today, surgeons, dentists and all doctors try to achieve as natural results as possible. Zirconia properties allow this to happen easily. We have already mentioned that it bonds easily, but we haven`t mentioned that zirconia can be shaped. This means that the new tooth might be better looking than the natural one.
Comparing to gold, zirconia a crown is much more elegant. There are people who strongly believe that metals radiate some energy so they are not fond of the idea they will have gold in their mouth. In addition, some people develop allergies from other crowns. Zirconia avoids all these unpleasant things and endures more than porcelain crowns.
What are the cons of zirconium crowns?
It is not a surprise that the biggest pro is actually a con, too. Having in mind that zirconia is really tough material, it is expected to ruin the opposite tooth if there are crossing points. Wearing out another tooth might be avoided if the dentist is a real specialist. Another con is that under the zirconium crown, tooth decay might appear and the patient will never find it out. The last con is the price of the zirconium crowns – it might be too high. However, in the long term, it is a better investment because the patient won`t have to change it in future.